We borrow water from the water cycle and store it in a reservoir. Water from reservoirs and rivers are treated at a water treatment works and piped to your house ready for you to use.
Did you know?
- 75% of the earth is covered with water.
- Although a person can live without food for more than a month, a person can only live without water for approximately one week.
- 75% of the human brain is water and 75% of a living tree is water.
- We are using 3 times more water than we were using in 1950.
A reservoir is an artificial lake, used to store rain water. We have 65 impounding reservoirs located in some of the most beautiful parts of Wales.
It’s fascinating! It’s fun, but water can also be dangerous. Reservoirs. Lakes. Rivers. Canals. The sea. In this section, learn how to stay safe around water.
Downloads and information:
- How we clean your drinking water (PDF)
- Where your water is cleaned (PDF)
- River Journey (PDF)
- Why you should NEVER swim in reservoirs (PDF)
If you're keen to learn more about clean water treatment, why not visit us at one of our discovery centres.